To this end, District officials are actively engaged in a number of initiatives, including
- Creating a “community of excellence in customized employment” designed to build the capacity of DC government and private provider staff to effectively use customized employment practices,
- Sponsoring a Project Search model for transitioning youth in partnership with the U.S. Department of Labor and, soon, other federal agencies,
- Enhancing collaborations with local employers through a partnership with the District of Columbia's Business Leadership Network,
- Strengthening its labor market "intelligence" through development of a process to better educate vocational rehabilitation counselors and others on how to access and use Labor Market Information, and
- Putting in place new strategies to increase the number of training and ”to work” options available to residents such as internships, through sector-based job training and/or small business development.
Listen to the audio podcast interview with Judith Heumann, Director of the District of Columbia’s Department on Disability Services
Read the transcript of the interview
View a PowerPoint presentation about Project Search, the District's school-to-career project for youth with disabilities, and a collaborative program with the U.S. Department of Labor. This program is the first of its kind in the federal government.